As you can imagine I’m in quite a lot of photography facebook groups and forums. While every person and every business is different I always find it amazing how common some ways of thought can be. Quite often you will find in a facebook/forum thread a random one-liner that half the time sums it all up perfectly and the other half, just starts another debate.
With that in mind, I was curious what one-sentence statements other photographers would say if they could say anything. 21 of their one sentence ‘change my mind’ statements are below! Warning, some even contradict others!
- “Affordable Photography Isn’t Devaluing Your Work” – Joshua Wyborn
- “Don’t worry or even ask about how many wedding’s other photographers are booking. Concentrate on your own marketing and your own income.” Matt Thompson
- “Cameras with greater pixels do not make for greater photos.” – Allan Blackett
- “Using workshop and styled shoot images is totally ok as long as you know you can replicate them on a wedding day” – Nik Bryant
- “Sometimes a situation is what it is, and there’s no changing it… #justdeal” – Nadine Dutton
- “Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.” – Kaci
- “You can start, run, and expand a profitable business with under $200 in kit. Money =/= quality or success.” – Michael Reynolds
- “Having a lot of IG followers doesn’t make you successful or important.” – Mia Griggs
- “Photographers who say “I just want to provide great pictures for cheap because everyone deserves them” don’t value their own industry.” –Adrienne DeMarco
- “Your personality is what sells your work” – Stevie Jay
- “Photographers are all each others direct competition…” – Sarah Turner
- “‘I’m not good enough’ – The fact is if you could travel back in time to before being a photographer and looked at the work you’re producing now, you’d never in a hundred years believe you could create the work you’re delivering to clients now – You ARE good enough!” – Andy Hudson
- “Photoshop is acceptable” – Mark Upfield
- “Don’t let what other photographers are posting on social media skew your perception of success.” – Maddie Farris Photography
- “If You believe in what you do then charge for what you do. Photography should be treated as art is treated. A moment may take an instant to take but it takes a lifetime to learn to see.” – Brett Harkness
- “People buy people, so never be scared to let your personality shine through in your business and branding, unless you’re an asshole, in which case you should probably pretend to be someone else.” – Abigail Steed
- “Community over Competition” typically only benefits the least experienced photographer in that equation.” – Stacie H Gordon
- “If you have the skills, cheaper equipment will not hinder your work. – Sarah Srofe
- “Being a wedding photographer is so much more than taking photos. It’s creating reassurance, a runner, an assistant, a timekeeper, an organiser, a good all-rounder.” – Jason Lee
- “Good wedding photography isn’t cheap and cheap wedding photography isn’t good.” – Laura Graham
- “A photographer who is part-time or has a second job isn’t a ‘bad photographer’.” – Stewart Barker
Have your own one-sentence, ‘Change My Mind’? Or do you agree or disagree with one in particular? Put it in the comments!